Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Scary TV And Kids

Our three daughters have been trying to convince us that they're ready to watch scary shows. I don't like it. But since they're showing an interest, hubby decided to start them out with some mild suspense type stuff like Paranormal Witness. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a show that gives testimony and shows reenactments of people's personal paranormal experiences.

Reenactment or not, they were TERRIFIED. Despite the terror they were experiencing, they still refused to stop watching and even got mad at me when I made my husband turn it off for a little while. That's just crazy right?! I mean if you're scared then why would you want to further subject yourself to MORE terror?!

Shower time rolls around. Three kids at shower time on a regular night is no joke. They take for frigging EVER and barely leave enough hot water for the unlucky third child.

My oldest daughter was first and she wasn't feeling well to begin with so I think she was fast simply because she felt like crap and just wanted to lay back down. My youngest daughter was next. She kept looking down the dark hallway and moved with lightening speed to turn on every damn light in the hall and bathroom before finally getting in the shower. 

My middle daughter was last. What a nightmare. I asked her not once, not twice, but SEVEN times to go get her butt in the shower as she apologized repeatedly for moving so slow. I knew she was procrastinating and since this was all my hubby's fault anyway, I kept my cool. 

She too, peered down the looming hallway as if some ominous creature was lurking in the shadows, ready to make a meal out of her. And I don't care what Pixar tells you, those aren't the monsters children imagine.



This is what a child imagines...



and it is going to eat them alive.

She made her way into the bathroom and stripped down and that was about all she could take. She bolted out of the bathroom, butt cheeks clinched and not looking back. I asked her what was up and she said, "there's no hot water!" Hubby gets up with the "I've had about enough of this nonsense" look, and went to investigate the water temperature.

Sure enough the water was hot and then she began to pester the YOUNGEST to come sit in the bathroom with her while she takes a shower. Youngest wouldn't hear any part of it and refused and left me with a crying, naked, eight year-old standing in my living room. FML. I looked at hubby and exclaimed, "THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!!" to which he replies (while laughing), "they're just being wusses".

We finally got through shower time. I was a wreck. I was mostly upset that I couldn't get them to understand that this wasn't even a scary MOVIE. It was some TV-14 show on a cable channel. I also explained that obviously nothing had happened to the witnesses since they were there, ON THE TV SCREEN, telling their stories! And they wanted to watch Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark.

They made it through the night. I didn't wake up with any kids in my bed. I wake the girls up and as I'm making coffee, I'm bombarded with questions and stories. "Mom, did you get up last night and knock something over?" (we have two cats, a dog, and a tortoise), "Mom, I heard scratching last night." (again, we have two cats, a dog, and a tortoise), "Mom, there was a wild cat outside last night! I swear! I heard it! And meowing. I heard meowing!!" (cats again), "Mom is our house built on a burial ground?" (WTF?). I answer, "NO AND WE HAVE ANIMALS AND NO AGAIN!"

Never again guys, never again.

For the record, all three kids are safe and alive. Although I'm pretty sure they still have soap in their hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment